Medical Insurance


Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is insurance to assist international students meet the costs of medical and hospital care that they may need while in Australia. OSHC will also pay limited benefits for pharmaceuticals and ambulance services.
All international students are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) throughout the entire length of their visa. If you want SMEAG English to arrange cover for you, we will contact our preferred OHSC partner BUPA and will make it happen. Please Click here for more information on the covers and their costs.
The Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) with BUPA will:
  1. Cover hospital expenses,
  2. GP or specialist costs
  3. Ambulance
  4. Benefits for some of your prescription medicines
  5. Special offers and discounts

BUPA will not pay for the cost of dental treatment, physiotherapy or glasses. Waiting periods apply for the cover of medical conditions which existed prior to your arrival in Australia.

What is OSHC?
Yes, it is. There are companies that provide the minimum wage and salary.
Why do I need OSHC?
As an overseas student, it is a requirement of your overseas student visa that you have OSHC when you apply for your visa and then keep it for the entire duration of your stay in Australia under the student visa.
I am a working holiday visa holder. Do I have to have OSHC?
No. OSHC is only for international student visa holders. If you are holding a working holiday visa or visitor visa, you can apply for Visitor health cover.
What if I have a family or dependants?
They will not be covered under your singles policy. You should take out an OSHC family policy to cover your spouse or de-facto partner or any child or step child who is unmarried and under the age of 18. We also have Extras cover for families.
Related links
CONTENTS More information here -> Health government AU
BUPA Private insurance company ->
CONTENTS More information here ->
CONTENTS More information here ->